Creating a forest-themed bedroom is an oasis of tranquility, a place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and reconnect with nature. Imagine waking up to the soothing sound of birds singing and the gentle rustle of leaves, and feeling the warmth of natural light filtering through the trees.
This is the kind of atmosphere a nature-inspired bedroom can create, one that’s designed to promote relaxation, rejuvenation, and inspiration.
We’ll share ideas on how you can create a forest-themed bedroom that’s tailored to your needs and preferences. From incorporating natural elements and earthy tones to playing with light and textures, we’ll show you how to create a space that’s both beautiful and functional.
Whether light and bright or dark and dramatic, discover how you can bring the forest inside your home and transform your bedroom into a relaxing and rejuvenating space.
Here Are 23 Forest-Themed Bedroom Ideas:
1. Forest-Themed Bedroom Color Palette
Picking the right color palette is crucial to bringing the look and feel of the outdoors into your bedroom.
Start with a neutral color palette of earthy greens, browns, and grays to serve as the foundation of your forest theme. This creates a cohesive base for the rest of the room’s decor and helps to emphasize the natural elements you’ll be incorporating. For example, you can paint the walls a soft green, and choose bedding and curtains in shades of brown and gray.
2. Natural Wood Elements
Incorporate natural wood elements through the use of a wooden headboard, nightstands, or a reclaimed wood accent wall. The natural warmth and texture of the wood can add a rustic and cozy feel to the bedroom. For example, you can use a reclaimed wood headboard or a wooden nightstand made of reclaimed wood.
Tip: Etsy is a great place to find natural wood accessories
3. Plants and Greenery
Use plenty of plants and flowers to give the room a natural and lush feel. The addition of plants can help to bring the outdoors in and create a sense of tranquility. For example, you can add a few potted ferns, succulents, or flowers to the room.
4. Forest-Themed Bedroom Lighting
It’s important to consider the type of lighting that you use, as different lighting types can trigger different moods or feelings. For example, warm lighting can create a cozy, inviting atmosphere, while cool lighting can create a more modern and minimalistic feel. Experimenting with different types of lighting can help you to create the perfect forest-themed bedroom that aligns with your personal style and needs.
Here are some ways to incorporate lighting fixtures or elements that mimic the natural lighting and enchantment found in a forest:
One way to achieve this is by incorporating fairy lights or string lights into the bedroom. These small lights can be hung on the walls or ceiling to create a warm and cozy atmosphere and mimic the twinkling of stars in a forest. This type of lighting can also be used to highlight specific elements in the room such as a headboard, artwork, or a feature wall.
The Lights pictured above are from Amazon and you can get them HERE
Lanterns and Candles
Another way to incorporate forest-themed lighting is by using lanterns or candles. These elements can create a warm and cozy atmosphere and mimic the ambiance of a forest. They can also be placed on nightstands, dressers, or other surfaces to add a touch of warmth and natural beauty to the room.
You can also use natural lighting to create a forest-like atmosphere. By installing skylights or large windows that let in natural light, you can create a sense of being surrounded by nature. It’s also important to consider the type of window treatments that you use, as heavy drapes or blinds can block natural light, while sheer curtains or shades can let it in.
5. Natural Fiber Rugs
Incorporate a natural fiber rug, such as jute or sisal, for an earthy and rustic touch. The natural texture and earthy colors of a natural rug can help to bring the forest theme full circle. For example, you can add a jute or sisal rug to the floor at the foot of the bed.
6. Forest-Themed Bedroom Wallpaper
Incorporate forest-themed wallpaper through the use of patterns, colors, or textures. The use of forest-themed wallpaper can add an additional layer of natural beauty and coziness to the room. The wallpaper can serve as a focal point, and it can evoke feelings of being in a forest.
You can use wallpaper with patterns of leaves, trees, or animals, colors that reflect nature such as green, brown, or gray, or use wallpaper made of natural materials such as bamboo or grasscloth.
7. Natural Window Treatments
Incorporate forest-themed window treatments through the use of patterns, colors, or textures. The use of forest-themed window treatments can add an additional layer of natural beauty and coziness to the room.
The window treatments can serve as a focal point, and they can evoke feelings of being in a forest. You can use curtains or shades with patterns of leaves, trees, or animals, colors that reflect nature such as green, brown, or gray, or use window treatments made of natural materials such as linen or burlap, or bamboo.
8. Forest Wall Tapestry
A tapestry can serve as a backdrop for the rest of the room’s decor, tying everything together and creating a cohesive look. It can also help to create a sense of coziness in the room by adding natural elements such as trees, animals, or leaves. These elements can bring a touch of natural beauty into the room, which can also help to promote relaxation and rejuvenation.
9. Nature-Inspired Bedding
Incorporate forest-inspired bedding through the use of patterns, colors, or textures. This can add an additional layer of natural beauty and coziness to the room. The bedding can serve as a focal point, and it can evoke the desired feelings of tranquility of being in a forest.
Use bedding with patterns of leaves, trees, or animals and insects. Include colors that reflect nature such as green, brown, or gray, or use bedding made of natural materials such as cotton or linen to add a rustic touch.
If your forest room is looking a little dark, add some color to your bedding with a cute butterfly or ladybug theme.
10. Forest-Themed Artwork
Incorporate forest-inspired artwork through the use of paintings, prints, or photographs. The use of artwork can add an additional layer of natural beauty and inspiration to the room.
Try hanging a painting of a forest landscape above the bed, displaying a set of prints of forest animals or plants, or hanging a photograph of a forest scene on the wall.
11. Incorporate Woodsy Scents
Adding woodsy scents to your forest theme bedroom can be a great way to create a sense of being in a natural setting. Wood scents can spark feelings of tranquility, peace, and well-being. There are a few ways to include woodsy scents in a bedroom:
Look for candles with scents like pine, cedar, sandalwood, or eucalyptus. These scents are often associated with the forest and can help to create a sense of being surrounded by nature.
Essential oils can be used in a diffuser or added to a warm bath to create a woodsy atmosphere in the bedroom. Some essential oils that can be used to create woodsy scents include pine, cedarwood, and juniper.
Incense can be used to create a smokey woodsy vibe in the bedroom. Sticks or cones with scents such as pine, cedar, or sandalwood will have your room smelling
Potpourri can be a mixture of dried natural materials, such as flowers, leaves, berries, and spices, that can be used to add a touch of natural beauty and a woodsy scent to a room.
12. Use Faux Furs
The forest is home to many different types of creatures, and the use of faux fur can help you feel surrounded by nature and the animals that call it home.
Faux furs also provide warmth and comfort, making them a perfect addition to a bedroom. Here are a few ways that faux furs can be incorporated into your room:
- Throw Blankets
- Decorative Pieces such as stuffed animals or wall hangings
13. Forest-Themed Bedroom Storage
These storage ideas will have you feeling like you’re nestled in a cozy cabin in the woods:
- Wooden chest with a natural or rustic finish
- Wicker baskets in natural colors can be used to store items such as linens or clothing
- Tree-branch shelves
14. Natural Seating
These seating ideas can provide a comfortable and inviting space that fits with the overall aesthetic of the room:
- Wooden bench
- Log chair
- Tree stump stool
- Wicker Chairs
- Adirondack chair
- Rocking chair
15. Mossy Accents
Moss is a symbol of growth, rejuvenation, and resilience, this can create a positive and inspiring atmosphere in your bedroom. Mossy accents can improve air quality by absorbing pollutants and releasing oxygen, this can be beneficial for your health and wellbeing
They also can add a unique and natural aesthetic to your bedroom, differentiating it from the more traditional decor options.
- Mossy candle holders: Wrap preserved moss around glass or metal candle holders
- Mossy terrarium: Create a mossy terrarium by filling a glass container with moss, small rocks, and other natural materials to create a miniature forest in your bedroom.
- Mossy garlands
16. Forest-Inspired Canopy Bed
Create a cozy, cabin-like feel in your bedroom by adding a canopy bed. This can be achieved by draping fabric over the bed or by purchasing a bed that already has a built-in canopy.
The canopy bed pictured above is from UrbanForge
17. Forest-Themed Bedroom Murals
There are a lot of directions to go with forest murals. The first question to ask is are you going to paint one yourself or purchase one you can stick onto the wall?
Here are some tips when choosing what direction to go with your mural:
- Consider the overall theme within the theme. Don’t pick a natural-looking mural if you are going for an illustrated or art concept look in the rest of the room.
- Think about the focal point: Choose a mural that will be the focal point of the room and make sure it is placed in a location where it will be easily visible.
- Consider the lighting: Think about the lighting in the room and choose a mural that will be visible. A darker mural may be better suited to a room with dimmer lighting, while a lighter mural may be better suited to a room with brighter lighting.
- Consider the color scheme: Make sure to choose a mural that complements it.
- Think about the size of the mural: It’s important to choose a mural that is proportionate to the size of the room. A large mural in a small room may overwhelm the space, while a small mural in a large room may not make much of an impact.
- Choose the right material: Consider if you want wallpaper, a painting, or a decal. These options have different durability, maintenance, and cost.
18. Water Features
Bring the soothing sound of running water into your forest-themed bedroom with a water fountain. Whether you prefer a small and simple tabletop fountain or a grand and elegant floor fountain, there are many options to choose from that will complement the natural aesthetic of your space.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Tabletop fountain: A small tabletop fountain can be placed on a nightstand, dresser, or another surface.
- Wall-mounted fountain: A wall-mounted fountain can be hung on a wall like a piece of art.
- Floor fountain: A floor fountain can be a freestanding or a built-in feature that can be placed in a corner of the room or along a wall.
- Bubble wall fountain: a bubble wall fountain can be a unique feature that can be incorporated into a forest-themed bedroom.
- Pebble fountain: A pebble fountain can be a simple and natural-looking feature that can be made from a variety of pebbles, stones, and natural elements like wood or bamboo.
19. Install Wood Beams
Wood beams can create a rustic, natural feel. The beams add texture and dimension to the ceiling, and can also serve as a decorative element in their own right. One idea is to put hooks in the beams for hanging house plants.
Additionally, using natural wood beams helps to bring the forest theme into the space and creates a warm, inviting atmosphere.
20. Wooden Ladder
An antique or distressed ladder can serve as a decorative piece and provide a functional use as well, such as a place to hang towels or display blankets.
Plus, you can use it to reach high places such as top shelves or decor on the wall. A ladder is a unique and versatile addition to any bedroom that will make you feel those cozy cabin vibes.
21. Wooden Picture Frames
Using wooden frames for your favorite photos can help highlight and bring focus to the images, while also tying in with the overall style of the room.
You can use frames made of different types of wood to create an eclectic look or opt for frames in the same style or color to create a cohesive and polished display.
22. Fake Forest Foliage
Looking for a low-maintenance option in your forest-themed bedroom?
Artificial plants, flowers, and greenery can be used in various ways to create a lush and natural-looking environment.
You can hang fake vines or ferns from the ceiling, place potted fake flowers on your nightstand or windowsill, or even create a full-on forest wall mural using artificial leaves. Fake foliage is a versatile and easy-to-use option without the need for watering or sunlight.
23. Cute Bug Accents
In addition to being cute, bug accents can also help to spark the imagination and bring a sense of playfulness to your room. You can place decorative figurines on places like nightstands and windowsills.
Or of the functional, get a small ceramic bug-themed dish to hold things like rings and keys.
I found the cute ceramic ladybug and flowers pictured above on ETSY
Benefits Of Creating A Forest-Themed Bedroom
Now that we’ve explored some amazing ideas to get the creative juices flowing, let’s briefly cover some added benefits if you decide to create your own earth-inspired room. This particular theme comes with many bonuses that can improve your quality of life.
- Calming and Relaxing Atmosphere: The use of natural elements such as plants, wood, and earthy colors can create a peaceful and calming atmosphere that is perfect for rest and rejuvenation.
- Inspiration: A forest-themed bedroom can serve as a constant source of inspiration, with the natural elements and textures providing a sense of wonder and adventure.
- Using Natural Materials: The use of natural materials such as wood, stone, and plants can create a sense of warmth and coziness that is hard to find in other design styles.
- Connection to Nature: A nature-inspired bedroom can help create a connection to nature, even if you live in an urban area.
- Increased Productivity: The natural elements can promote a sense of focus and concentration, making it an ideal space for working or studying.
- Sense of Well-being: Surrounding yourself with natural elements can increase feelings of well-being and happiness.
- Better Air Quality: Plants naturally purify the air by absorbing pollutants and releasing oxygen. They also help to increase humidity and reduce indoor air pollution
Cons or Potential Downsides
- Maintenance: This theme often involves incorporating natural elements such as plants, which require regular maintenance and care. If you’re not comfortable with the responsibility of taking care of living things, this may not be the best option for you.
- Allergies: If you or anyone in the household has allergies to common indoor plants, this design style may not be suitable.
- Cost: Incorporating natural materials such as wood, stone, and plants can be costly and may require a significant investment.
- Lighting: This may require specific lighting conditions to showcase the natural elements and create the desired ambiance. This may require additional lighting fixtures or modifications to existing ones.
- Space: This could require a larger space to accommodate the natural elements and create a sense of being surrounded by nature. This design style may not be feasible in smaller bedrooms or apartments with limited space.
Creating a forest-themed bedroom is a wonderful way to bring a touch of nature into your home and create a calming and peaceful atmosphere. Whether you go for a subtle approach with a few simple decor elements or go all out with a full-on forest mural, there are plenty of ways to make it happen. So, don’t be afraid to get creative and bring the beauty of the forest into your own personal sanctuary. Happy decorating!
Want more nature-themed inspiration? Check out 15 Mushroom-Themed Room Ideas
Subscribe to our email newsletter to get the latest posts delivered right to your email.